I have been obsessed with making wraps lately. I’ll pretty much stuff anything in a wrap and devour it for dinner. I think this is mostly because I get home from work and need to eat asap. You can find GF wraps in the freezer section of your grocery store or if you’re really lucky the bread section may carry the corn tortillas. Either way, wraps are easy and DELISH.
Sweet potatoes are really easy to cook with and you can add them to anything to boost the nutritional content. I have been adding them to my salads and sandwiches and baking them for sweet potato fries. This recipe takes 30 mins to prepare, but it is well worth it. The leftovers are great too, I eat it straight from the bowl or over a salad!
Sweet Potato Burritos
Serves 6 – 30 min prep
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup salsa
- Tortilla wraps
- 1 avocado
- Handful of baby spinach
- Extra salsa or vegan salad dressing, if desired.
1) Pierce the two sweet potatoes and place on microwave safe plate. Microwave for 6-7 mins (check them after 5 minutes by piercing with fork). When done, fork should pierce without trouble (should be soft). Remove from microwave and set aside to cool. Once cool, remove skin and dice.**If you have time, roast the sweet potatoes in the oven. Peel and cube, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on tin foiled baking sheet and bake for 40 mins.
2) In a small pot, heat water over high heat. When it starts to boil, add rice and lower temperature to low heat. Cover with lid. I used quick rice so my rice was done in 10 minutes. Check the instructions on your packaging. When done, set aside.
3) Dice onion. Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add oil. When hot, add onion and heat for 5 mins or until translucent. Drain beans and rinse with warm water. Add beans to frying pan along with rice and diced sweet potato. Mix and heat for 5 minutes. Add salsa and remove from heat.
4) Slice the avocado.
5) To assemble your wrap, add condiments, sweet potato mixture, avocado, and spinach. Wrap by folding one side in and rolling the wrap. Enjoy!