December 3! Wow where did November even go? Does anyone even remember Halloween? Seriously though, wow, December. Ok… I’m over it now.
Now that we have officially recognized what month we are in, let’s start talking cookies! That’s what Christmas is all about, isn’t it? Over the next 3 weeks I will share my vegan gluten free recipes to prepare you all for the holidays! I’ve had a few bad batches but these chocolate truffles won’t disappoint. Gluten free baking is discouraging sometimes because the flours are like a science experiment. You really have to play around with them to figure out what works best with certain ingredients. I’ve tried oat flour, sorghum flour, almond flour, all-purpose GF flour, and so on. When you are baking with GF flour, make sure to add xanthan gum (check packaging for amount). Xanthan gum is used to give the batter a “stickiness” that would otherwise be achieved with the gluten. You can purchase these flours in the health food section of your grocery store (where the organic or specialty food is). The Bulk Barn is another great store to get GF ingredients and products.
Makes 20 truffles
- 1 cup earth balance
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp earth balance
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose GF flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Cream butter and icing sugar on low speed.
2) In a small mixing bowl, combine 3 tbsp cocoa and 1 tbsp earth balance. Add to icing sugar mixture. Blend in vanilla.
3) Mix flours and xanthan gum in a bowl. Slowly add to butter mixture (on low speed, scrapping bowl as you go).
4) Mix in chocolate chips by hand. Form into 1 inch balls (should get 20).
5) Bake for 8 minutes. Remove and let sit for 8-10 minutes (or until warm but not hot).
6) Mix sugar and cocoa in small bowl. Roll each ball in the sugar mixture and set aside. Once cool, store in airtight container.
Enjoy one when the chocolate is still warm and gooey with a glass of almond milk! Santa will LOVE these.