Christmas is all about relaxing on the couch with your loved ones and snacking on treats you’ve spent the last 3 weeks working on. Being at my parents house makes me want to just lay around and eat all day long! My mom’s baking was so tempting this year, she really stepped up her game. Unfortuantly, I couldn’t eat any of her mud pies or bacon wrapped waterchesnuts (sigh) so I had to come up with my own tasty alternatives to the things I once gobbled down on the holidays.
One of my favourite breakfast options is French Toast. Before becoming vegan I used to whip up my french toast with a few egg whites, cinnamon, milk, and a little maple syrup. Turning this recipe vegan was a piece of cake.. and oh so delicious.
Vegan French Toast
Makes 1 serving
- 2 pieces GF bread
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 flax egg (1 tsp ground flax mixed with 3 tsp warm water)
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sliced banana and maple syrup for toppings.
1) Mix flax egg and set aside.
2) Over medium heat, add butter to a frying pan.
3) In shallow bowl mix almond milk, cinnamon, flax egg, maple syrup, and vanilla. Place pieces of bread in the mixture and let sit until butter has melted in the frying pan (1-2 minutes – to allow the mixture to soak into the bread).
4) Place soaked bread in the frying pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Allow to fry for 2-3 minutes. Flip and sprinkle with cinnamon and allow to fry for 2-3 minutes. Once both sides are golden brown, remove from frying pan.
5) Top with sliced banana and maple syrup.