I’ve been having a lot of soup lately. Every Sunday I spend the afternoon making a big pot of soup to have for lunch for the week. I’ve been experimenting with different flavours and textures and for the most part they have been delicious (I’ll share recipes soon, don’t worry). With all this soup I’ve been having, tonight I was craving something a little heavier. After my Insanity workout (more on that in another post) I felt like I deserved some pasta. I try not to have pasta more than once or twice a week, especially if I don’t workout, but tonight was definitely a pasta kind of night.
This tomato sauce is quite good, if I do say so myself. The walnuts add a punch of protein and the roasted red pepper goes great with the veggie packed tomato sauce. The best part about this dinner is that it is super quick and easy. Keep a close eye on the walnuts when they are in the oven because they will burn easily if ignored.
Toasted Walnut & Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Pasta
Makes 6 servings
- 1 pkg GF or whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 red pepper, cut lengthwise in four
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- half yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, as desired.
1) Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add spaghetti. Cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2) Place cut peppers on a baking sheet, cut side down. Broil in oven for 7-8 minutes. After 5 minutes, add walnuts to baking sheet. Toast for the remaining 2-3 minutes of pepper cooking time.
3) On medium heat, add oil to big pot. Add onion and heat until translucent, 5-6 minutes. Add yellow pepper, mushrooms, and garlic. Heat for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, baby spinach, salt, pepper, and walnut pieces. Heat for 8 minutes uncovered, stirring frequently. If you want the sauce less chunky, add a few tablespoons of water.
4) To serve, add sauce to spaghetti and top with sliced roasted peppers. Enjoy!