Happy Birthday to me!
On Sunday I celebrated my birthday. I had a busy week last week so it was nice to stay at home, relax and unwind. I had a fun night out with friends on Saturday but Sunday was all about watching shows I missed during the week and eating home made treats. Of course one of those treats was cupcakes! I’ve been looking for an excuse to make these coconut cupcakes for a while now, so what better time then my birthday! I’m a coconut fanatic so it’s the perfect cupcake for me.
I made my cupcakes GF but you can definitely make these with regular flour. I decided to try coconut flour in this recipe (how fitting). It was my first time experimenting with coconut flour, but it won’t be my last. I found the dough to be a tad heavy (not as fluffy as you’d expect) but my attempt wasn’t a failure – they were still delicious. I’m still trying to discover a blend of GF flours that would work for cookies, cakes, etc. Let me know if you have a blend that you love!
Coconut Birthday Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
Adapted from Chloe’s Kitchen
- 1 cup all purpose GF flour
- 3/4 cup GF coconut flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (liquid, at room temperature)
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1) Preheat oven to 350F.Add paper liners to cupcake pan. Set aside.
2) Blend the flours, sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3) In a medium bowl, blend the coconut milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar.
4) Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture. Fold together until just combined, careful not to over mix.
5) Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full. Bake for 16 minutes, or until knife inserted comes out clean. Baking times vary because ovens are different and temperatures may speed up the process.
6) Remove from oven and let sit in pan for 5-10 minutes. Remove when cool and set aside.
Coconut Butter Cream Frosting
Makes enough frosting for 12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup earth balance vegan butter
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or non-sweetened)
1) Mix the vegan butter and coconut milk with a hand or stand mixer for 1-2 minutes. Add the almond extract.
2) Slowly, add the icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Mix for 5-6 minutes. Add more milk or icing sugar to reach desired consistency.
3) Add coconut and mix by hand.
4) Top each cupcake with frosting. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top.