If you have been following me since I started blogging back in November 2012, you will have noticed that my blog name has changed. Shot Bun was great while it lasted but it wasn’t what I was going for in my blog. I want to promote healthy living and eating and heavy drinking isn’t actually the best practice for living clean (not that I posted oodles of drink recipes).
My blog is now called “Gotta Eat Green” because as vegans we eat A LOT of greens. I want my blog readers to introduce more greens and legumes into their diets so after two weeks of deep thinking.. I came up with Gotta Eat Green! I hope you all love the name as much as I do.
So while I was coming up with a new blog name, I couldn’t bring myself to post a recipe. It just didn’t feel right to post on a nameless blog. That doesn’t mean I haven’t been cooking up a storm though. I have been snapping pictures of my meals to share with you all – so without further adieu, here is my delicious recipe for Sweet Potato Lasagna!
Sweet Potato Lasagna
- 1 pkg gluten free lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 big sweet potato
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1.5 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tofu, crumbled
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
1) Place cashews in a bowl with water and let sit for 30-60 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Cook lasagna according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3) Poke sweet potato with a fork and place on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 7 minutes, or until knife inserts easily. Set aside. Remove skin when cooled.
4) In a large frying pan on medium heat, add oil. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
5) Place onion/garlic in a bowl and place frying pan back on the burner (don’t clean it). Add beans and red pepper and heat (medium) for 5 minutes, or until soft.
6) In a blender, blend vegetable broth and cashews. Blend for 2 minutes or until sauce feels smooth between fingers. Add tofu, sweet potato, nutritional yeast, onion/garlic mix, salt and pepper. Blend for 1 minute.
7) In a 8×8 baking dish, spread 1/4 cup of sauce on the bottom of the dish. Cut lasagna noodles to fit and place in the dish. Add 1 cup of baby spinach and add sauce to cover. Layer with lasagna noodles. Spread bean/pepper mixture over the noodles. Cover with sauce. Repeat spinach and bean layers. For the top layer, add remaining sauce and cover with shredded cheese. Cover with tin foil.
8) Cook for 35 minutes. Remove tin foil and cook for additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted.