I am all about the super easy, super convenient meals lately. I’m even making an effort to create meals that can be eaten different ways. A chunky vegetable soup for one meal becomes a rice dish in my next. Leftovers are amazing aren’t they? So many options!
After a long day at work a lot of people can’t be bothered to spend most of their night in the kitchen. I find cooking relaxing but sometimes I just want to lay on the couch and drink a smoothie after a busy day.
I warn you in advance, this recipe is not exciting… it doesn’t look too pretty either. But it is tasty and that is all that matters. Oh and it is also a great healthy weekday meal. OH and it is so easy to make. You can use canned or dry lentils and add any spices you want (or have handy). I ate my lentils over a nice big salad for my first meal and with a piece of sliced whole wheat bread for my second meal.
If you enjoy the lentils over greens, you don’t need to add dressing. The lentils are saucy enough to satisfy. Add some sliced avocado and tomato for some extra servings of veggies.
If you decide to go with the bread and lentils, prepare a quick salad to go with it. Raid your fridge and cupboard for veggies, nuts, seeds, or fruit and toss it all together with some dressing. It makes a perfect balanced meal!
Super Easy Coconut Lentil Salad Topper
- 1 can lentils, drained
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1) In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low.
2) Heat covered over medium-low for 15 minutes (you want it to simmer, not boil – if you boil it will burn the lentils). Stir every five minutes.
3) Remove from heat and let sit, still covered, for 10 minutes. Eat over greens or with bread.