Quinoa bowls are pretty awesome. And by pretty awesome I mean, the bomb. I make them for dinner when I am lazy after a long day at work and still want to get my veggie fix.
The recipe below is just a guide to start your quinoa bowl making. Replace the veggies with whatever you have lying around (cauliflower, kale, eggplant, etc). Add more, less, or no nuts or switch it up and add pine nuts or macadamia nuts! See where I am going here? Quinoa bowls can be whatever you want them to be. Don’t be afraid to be creative with the sauce either. Instead of lemon juice try cranberry or orange juice! I can go on and on about all the different ways to make these….
Makes 2 servings
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 or 2 vegan Tofurky sausages
- 5 asparagus spears
- 3/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp pecans, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
1) Add quinoa and vegetable broth to a saucepan. Heat on high until it starts to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until there is no liquid left.
2) Meanwhile, steam the asparagus and broccoli (use a saucepan steamer or steam in the microwave). Set aside.
3) Fry or grill the sausages. They don’t take long to cook, 3-4 minutes on each side. Cut into pieces.
4) Dice the avocado.
5) Gently mix the asparagus, broccoli, sausages, avocado, cranberries, and pecans in a bowl. Add quinoa, oil, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; mix and gobble down.