I’m super excited to share today’s post with you because it is the first of my ‘Weekly Ingredient Trio’ weekly feature!
I decided to do this weekly post because I love to experiment with food and I want to make healthy eating as convenient for you as possible. Buy one ingredient = get three awesome recipes to make with it. When a recipe calls for only half a squash do you worry about what to do with the other half? Do you throw it out or let it rot in the fridge day after day because you couldn’t find a recipe to use it? Enough is enough people! Let’s put those ingredients to good use.
In my ‘Weekly Ingredient Trio’ posts, I will share 3 recipes with you that feature the same ingredient. Examples of food you will see in the coming weeks are quinoa, almond milk, tempeh, mango, and kale. Today’s main ingredient is actually two ingredients in one package; frozen strawberries and bananas. Frozen fruit is so convenient and can last months in your freezer (so stock up when it is on sale).
I bought my big bag of frozen strawberries and bananas at Costco over a month ago and I am just getting to the bottom of the bag now.
So here is this weeks round up of recipes:
- 1 cup frozen strawberries and bananas
- handful of spinach
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp protein powder
1) Mix all ingredients in a blender. Pour and serve.
Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Pancakes
Adapted from Post Punk Kitchen
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (liquid) – or any other oil
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup frozen strawberries and bananas, chopped
1) In a big bowl, mix flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Create a well in the center and set aside.
2) In a medium size bowl, add almond milk, vinegar, and flax seeds. With a whisk or a folk, mix until foamy (about 2 minutes).
3) Add the wet ingredients to the well in the dry ingredients bowl. Add water, oil, and almond extract. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Add the coconut flakes and chopped fruit. Gently stir. Let sit for 5 minutes.
4) Grease a large frying pan with oil or butter and heat on medium. Add about 1/4 cup of pancake batter to the pan for one pancake, repeat for another (only do about 2-3 pancakes at a time, depending on the size of your pan). Let the pancake cook for about 3-4 minutes (after 3 minutes check the bottom of the pancake with the spatula). Flip and cook the other side for the same time.
** Leftover pancakes freeze really well if you keep them in a sealed ziploc. Pop them in the toaster for a quick and delicious breakfast during the week!
Raspberry-Banana Oat Squares with Strawberry Banana Sorbet
I found this amazing recipe for Oat Squares on Oh She Glows a few months ago and I have made them a few times, changing up the fruit each time. The squares I made in the picture above were out of this world. I added chopped bananas and raspberries and they were soo delicious, especially with the strawberry banana sorbet. Eat the squares warm with the sorbet on top… Mmmm…
Strawberry Banana Sorbet
- 1 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and bananas
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
1) Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Process for 5-7 minutes, scrapping down the sides every 30 seconds. You’ll know it is done when it looks like creamy sorbet.
Come back next Sunday for a trio of recipes featuring…