I am way way overdue for a weekly ingredient trio post. My weekends have been beyond busy the last couple weeks so I haven’t had time to crack down on three recipes with one ingredient. This week I decided to feature an ingredient that I don’t normally buy at the grocery store. I picked up a package of falafel balls out of pure laziness. I knew I could easily throw them into wraps and salads to make a quick meal. It is because they are so easy to prepare that I decided to feature them this week; I wanted to challenge myself to use them in ways you wouldn’t normally think.
Before we get started on the recipes here is a recap of what I have been up to the last few weeks.
Vegan Cinnamon Buns for girls weekend.
Patio date filled with sangria and spring rolls.
My sister came to visit.
And then we ran a 5k.
Now back to the falafel balls. Before I went vegan I never had a falafel ball. For some reason I didn’t think I would like them. Crazy right? Falafel balls are amazing! The homemade ones are obviously way better but sometimes it’s nice to just pick up a package to throw into meals. The falafel balls I used this week are made by Veggie Patch. There is the perfect amount of spice in these balls and they are super easy to prepare. For four balls it is 150 cals and 6g of protein. Not too bad at all.
As mentioned earlier, you can throw these into a wrap or pita with some veggies and have yourself an easy lunch or dinner. Those methods are a bit too easy for the weekly ingredient trio.. so I decided to get creative.
Mini Falafel Tacos with Curry Cream Sauce
- 4 large wraps
- 1 small yellow zucchini
- 1 red pepper
- 3/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 7 falafel balls
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
1) Use a sharp knife to cut 3-4 circles out of each wrap. Set aside.
2) Dice zucchini and red pepper.
3) Add oil to a large frying pan on medium heat. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and red pepper. Heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
4) Cut each falafel ball into four pieces. Add to vegetables in frying pan and heat for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5) Add 1 tsp of curry cream sauce to each wrap circle. Top with vegetable/falafel mixture. Fold and hold together with a toothpick. Serve immediately.
Curry Cream Sauce
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1-2 tsp of green curry paste
- 1 tsp honey mustard
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
1) Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and place in fridge until ready to use.
Baked Spaghetti with Falafel Balls
- 1 pkg spaghetti
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 2 tbsp Daiya Jalapeño ‘cheese’ spread
- 3/4 cup edamame
- 1 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup tomato sauce, plus another 1/2 cup to top
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1) Preheat oven to 350F. In a large pot with 1/2 tsp salt heat water until it begins to boil. Add spaghetti and cook for 8-10 minutes or as directed on package.
2) Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp of oil in large frying pan. Add onion. Cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and zucchini. Heat covered for 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Add Daiya cheese spread and remove from heat, keep cover on.
3) In the last 2 minutes of cooking time, add edamame and spinach to spaghetti. After two minutes remove from heat and drain. Return to pot.
4) Add onion/zucchini mixture to pot with spaghetti. Add the 1 cup of tomato sauce (I used White Linen Marinara Sauce). Add more or less depending on your preferred sauciness.
5) In a 9×9 pan, add spaghetti mixture. Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and sprinkle nutritional yeast on top. Cover with tin foil.
6) Bake for 20 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake another 5 minutes. Serve with vegan garlic bread.
It’s like spaghetti and meat balls, but with falafel balls :).
Makes 1-2 servings
- 5 falafel balls
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp hummus
- 1 vegan sausage
- 3 tsp vegan mozzarella cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) In a small bowl mash falafel balls. Add hummus and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, form mixture into a ball. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and flatten the ball onto the baking sheet.
3) Spread additional hummus on top. Dice vegan sausage and layer over the hummus. Top with vegan mozzarella cheese.
4) Bake for 10-12 minutes.