I completed my first 10k over the weekend. Leading up to it I was terrified that I wouldn’t be able to finish it. That was foolish thinking, because not only did I finish it, but I ran pretty much the whole thing! Crossing the finish line, I was so tired yet so proud of myself – a real, HELL YA moment.
I ran the 10k Band on the Run race in Huntsville, ON. They also had a half marathon, 5k, and a kids 1k. Your race bib was also your ticket to the concerts in the afternoon. Considering how many races they had planned for the day there was only about 400 people in total. I actually prefered having a small group to run with because I didn’t feel like I had a mob ready to chase me down at the starting line. There were a few elite athletes at the front of the pack but the majority of the people participating were at my level (or slightly above). I was so much more comfortable and excited about the race when I got there and saw what I was up against.
The race was well organized and the volunteers were encouraging and quite funny. At the 8k mark one volunteer actually said “you’re almost there – I’ll have a beer waiting for you at the end!” – It was 9:30am..haha. Also, throughout the run there were bands and musicians set up to serenade you as you ran. It was nice to have the entertainment because we weren’t permitted to have ipods on this run. I trained without my ipod so it didn’t bother me too much during the race.
The first 2k were all uphill. After about 10 minutes I was ready to call it quits. I was feeling the burn already and I didn’t think I would be able to make it. Luckily, at about 2.5k we got to even ground and the rest is history! There were a few hills here and there but I managed to get through them and only had to stop for water once. It was a great race and I am already planning for my next one!
So now for the real reason you are all here… Remember my last post when I went on and on about brownies? I finally made some to give into my craving. I really wanted to incorporate fresh fruit into these babies and thank goodness cherries were on sale because they rocked in this recipe! I had good intentions to make them healthy, but every recipe I found that was vegan had either sweet potato or black beans and I wasn’t in the mood for veggie brownies. I decided to make Kristina’s recipe…and mmmm… they taste as good as they look!
If you love chocolate and cherries you’ll adore these brownies. The fresh cherries add such amazing flavour. Don’t serve them to a crowd of rowdy hockey boys though.. I had one superfan ask me if I added raisins to the brownies. Seriously.. a raisin and a cherry clearly have different taste, texture, and COLOUR. Boys…
Chocolate Cherry Brownies
Adapted from Double Chocolate Vegan Brownies
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 oz dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or white)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and diced
*You can also use GF flour or a mixture of white/whole wheat flour.
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×9 baking dish with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. In a microwave safe bowl, add coffee, butter, and chocolate. Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until combined.
2) Add sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, and salt to chocolate mixture. Mix until well combined. Add coconut oil, water, and vanilla.
3) In a separate medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and chocolate chips. Add to wet mixture with cherries. Stir until combined.
4) Pour mixture into pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
5) Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Lift tin foil to remove from pan.