So mother nature’s fever finally broke and we are starting to get some cool air! Thannnnk god. The heat was driving me mad. I also got stuck in a torrential downpour after work..without an umbrella.. wearing a white t-shirt. That’s some bad karma. After the rain, there were these crazy clouds in the sky. It looked like the world was about to end.
Look at how crazy it was!
So enough about the weather already! Seriously that’s all us bloggers can talk about these days. I think it is because we are always working away in the kitchen and have the oven on, so we are just so much hotter than you. Right right? No.
This weekend we are heading to – surprise – the cottage. We are only driving up Saturday morning and coming back Sunday night because I have to work Saturday morning. It’s kind of a bummer that we are going to be there for such a short time, but in a few weeks we are taking a whole week to relax up there. I can’t wait!
Our big engagement party is the weekend before our vacation. We are having about 60 people up to the cottage to celebrate our upcoming nuptials. We got engaged last August so this is a big late, but better late than never! This will be a great opportunity for our families to meet before the big day. Our parents and siblings have met before but it will be nice to celebrate with our extended families and friends.
All of those 60 people coming to the cottage, are spending the night at the cottage! It’s going to be a packed house.
I’m going to make a bunch of snacks to have ready for when people want to munch. This maple pecan-cashew popcorn will definitely be on the snack list! It is so easy to make and taste like heaven. Sweet and crunchy…and perfect.
Maple Pecan-Cashew Popcorn
Prep Time: 25 min
Keywords: bake appetizer snack vegan
Ingredients (Makes about 8 cups)
- 5 tbsp coconut oil (divided)
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup cashew halves
- 6 tbsp vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking tray with tin foil and grease it with 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Spread pecans and cashews over the pan and bake for 7-8 minutes, or until nice and toasted. Let cool – keep the tin foil on the tray because you will be using it again.
2) In a large saucepan, heat 4 tbsp of coconut oil on medium heat. Once you hear the cracking of the oil, you know it is hot enough (turn the heat up a bit if you don’t hear anything). Add the popcorn kernels and place lid on the saucepan. Cook the kernels and pay attention to the popping (it will take about 3 minutes until they start to pop). Don’t open the lid to stir, just move the pot to mix them around. Once there is a 5 second break between the popping, remove the saucepan from heat.
3) Let the popcorn sit for about 2 minutes in the saucepan. Add the popcorn to a large bowl and remove any kernels that didn’t pop. Add the toasted nuts.
4) In a medium saucepan, heat the vegan butter, maple syrup, and salt on medium heat. Let the mixture boil for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it because it can burn easily or boil over.
5) This is the part where you have to be quick: Pour the liquid over the popcorn and combine using an oiled spoon. Make sure to mix in all the nuts that may have fallen to the bottom of the bowl. Once combined, spread the mixture on the baking tray that you used to roast the nuts.
6) Let cool for about 10 minutes. Break into pieces and store in a sealed container. It will keep for 3-4 days.