Ohhhh boy. I’ve got a treat for you today.
But first, I have to know.. are you guys wearing winter coats yet? The other day on my way to work, I saw not one.. not two.. but three people wearing wool coats. And not just any wool coats…big winter style coats, with scarves!! For my readers outside of Canada, it is not that cold here all year round; the temperature that day was 17°C (62F), that is not wool coat weather! And then I saw a few people wearing knee high leather boots and leggings with their dresses. Does anyone else think this is too early?? I’m still wearing sandals!
I will admit that it has gotten A BIT chilly. I try to get my outdoor runs in before dark because once it gets dark it gets pretty chilly and I don’t want to get out my winter running gear yet. But wool coats.. c’mon…
I have been looking for a good rain jacket ever since my Lululemon Right as Rain jacket was ruined last year. The zipper got destroyed when I shut the car door on it and Lulu wasn’t able to fix it. They did send me a gift card for the amount of the jacket, which I was thrilled about! Gotta love them!
Well that gift card was used almost instantly on some things I have had my eye on for months.. (hello new limits tanks) but now I don’t have a jacket. Right as Rain has a few new colours this season. I’m loving the dark blue… but I have to stop myself from purchasing it! I just bought a bunch of new things.. and I do have a wedding to save for.
Christmas gift maybe? Wink wink.. nudge nudge.. Grant..
So onto today’s main event. I went back home last weekend to go wedding dress shopping with my mom, sister, mother in law, and Grant’s sister, so while I was home we decided to have a girls night with all of the girls from my mom’s side. It was really fun to hang out with my cousins, aunts, and grandmas (my dad’s mom was there too) and just eat and drink. We had a ton of good food; most were not vegan but my grandma made her amazing baked beans vegan just for me. My sis also made a quinoa salad and made a small bowl without cheese for me.. so much love!
I made this creamy corn dip! The first time I made this dip was in the summer at the cottage and it was a big hit! Everyone loved it, even the “vegan haters” who swore they would never like my vegan concoctions! So I decided it would be a good fit for girls night.
Unfortunately we totally forgot to take it out of the fridge. Ooopsie.
My dad and I ate the dip on top of a fresh baguette the next day and it was GOOD. You could also have it with corn chips, pita bread, or chopped veggies. AND you can eat it cold or hot. Either way it is delish.
Creamy Corn Dip
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: Cool 1 hour
Ingredients (makes 2 cup)
- 3 cobs of corn
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp both salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 baguette
1) Husk the cobs of corn and wrap them in tin foil. Heat in BBQ on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Flip after 8 minutes. Unwrap one of the corns at 10 minutes to make sure they haven’t burned. They should be toasted and cooked at about 15 minutes.
*Note – you can cook the corn however you want (bake in oven, boil, etc) but I love the flavours that come with bbq’ing.
2) In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion. Cook for 7 minutes or until onion is soft and golden.
3) With a sharp knife, slice the kernels off the cobs of corn. Add corn to the frying pan with the onion. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
4) In a medium microwave safe bowl, add cream cheese. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and add sour cream. Add nutritional yeast, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Remove onion/corn mixture from stove and add to creamy mixture. Stir to combine.
5) Wrap bowl in tin foil or transfer to container with lid and place in the fridge for at least one hour. The flavours will be amazing if you let it sit.
1) Heat dip in the microwave for one minute. Stir after 30 seconds. Cut baguette and serve with dip.
2) Remove dip from fridge and serve cold with cut baguette.
Some unrelated news
You guys should all go check out Sassy Blonde Cancer Be Gone. An old friend of mine from Queen’s has been diagnosed with cancer for the forth time and she started to blog about her journey. Courtney is one of the sweetest and most courageous people I know. Seriously you guys, she is strong and absolutely hilarious. Read her blog.. this girl is unbelievable.
If you have the funds, I would also love for you to head over to Courtney’s Donation Page. The goal is $10,000 to ensure Courtney can focus on her health and look forward to beginning the next chapter of her life.
Much love. xox.