Happy Friday lovely people!
How excited are you that it’s the weekend? This week went by so fast! I’ll give a full report of my goals, eating, and workouts on Sunday but I’m excited that I have done so good this week! Good eats and great workouts! Woot woot!
I wanted to pop in this morning to share one of my favourite meals. These quesadillas only take 20 minutes to make and they are SO good. Grant and I devour them in seconds.
Before going vegan I wasn’t a big cheese eater. Sure I’d have a piece or two if they were an appetizer somewhere but I wasn’t one to buy a brick of cheese and eat it with, well, everything.
Even when I would have quesadillas, I would look forward to the salsa and tortilla, not the cheese.
The “cheese” in these quesadillas is Daiya vegan cheese. I’m still learning to like this vegan cheese. It has an odd flavour that can be overpowering. When I first started making these I would only sprinkle a little cheese on top. Slowly I added more and now I can sprinkle 2 tbsp on and I love the end result!
Gooey, cheesy, quesadillas that are easy to make and even easier to eat.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 big sweet potato
- 1 cup Daiya Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- Vegan sour cream and salsa, for serving
1) Take the sweet potato and stab a few times with a fork or knife. Place on a microwave safe plate and heat in microwave for about 7-8 minutes. You’ll know it is cooked when a knife inserts easily. Remove from microwave and slice down the middle. Let sit for a few minutes to cool down.
2) Preheat oven to 375F. One at a time, take the flour tortilla and spread about 1/4 cup of sweet potato on one side of the tortilla. Spread about 3-4 tbsp of black beans over sweet potato. Sprinkle “cheese” over the beans. Fold in half and place on a baking tray lined with tin foil. Repeat with other tortillas.
3) Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tortilla is slightly browned.
4) Remove from oven and slice into triangles. Serve with salsa and vegan sour cream.
Do you like quesadillas?
What are you up to this weekend?
I’m off to Kingston for Queen’s homecoming! I haven’t been to Queen’s in ages so it will be really nice to be back there. I’m going with my old roommate and bff, Bridget. Our plan is just to show up at our old house and make friends with the people who live there so we can go in and reminisce.. creepy? Ya probably.
Here’s Bridget and I through the years at Queen’s..
Such babies. I think this was after first year.
I don’t think Kingston is ready for us.
Have a great weekend :)