To all of my Canadian readers.. who is ready for Thanksgiving!?! Our favourite little fall holiday is this weekend and I can’t wait to stuff my face with goodies when I get home. I’ve never been to or had an American Thanksgiving..so I can’t compare, but I love Thanksgiving for one reason – family time!
Grant, Coop, and I are road tripping to Cornwall after work on Friday to spend Thanksgiving with my family. I’ve already planned a few side dishes to make for Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday night and I have no doubts that my mom has already started her “this is what we can do as a family while you are home” list.
She mentioned the Pumpkin-inferno at Upper Canada Village a few days ago that actually sounds pretty cool.
Their website invites you to…
Come and stroll through a hauntingly beautiful and spellbinding outdoor exhibit of now close to 6,000 hand-carved pumpkins, set against a stirring night-time backdrop just inside the gates of historic Upper Canada Village. Marvel at this eclectic display of scenes from exotic places and historic ages, meet up with forest animals and sea-born creatures, see story book heroes, mythical characters, cultural icons and more …. all carved from pumpkins!
If we end up going I will tell you guys all about it. I’m actually pretty excited for this family outing. Let’s hope it doesn’t rain! Click here to check out last year’s inferno.
So back in August I posted an instagram pic of a peach crisp I made that was SO good. I also featured the picture in my August Instagram pics and I had quite a few people ask for the recipe. I haven’t had the time to make it again to take better pictures so I thought I would switch it up a bit and make an apple crisp using the same recipe. Oh and pumpkin.. I’m adding pumpkin to it as well.
Maybe we can add apple picking to our ‘family to-do’ list this weekend. I have been trying to drag Grant to an orchard for weeks now. Maybe if I promise more apple crisps and pies he will bring me.
Pumpkin Apple Crisp [Vegan and Gluten Free]
- 10 small/medium McIntosh apples
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup large flake gluten free oats*
- 1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour*
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance, vegan butter (cold)
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9×9 baking dish.
2) Peel, core, and slice apples. Add to a medium size bowl and stir in pumpkin puree and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, all spice, brown sugar, and cane sugar. Add butter and cut with a pastry cutter (you can also use your hands to mix, just work quick so the butter doesn’t melt). When it is crumbly you know it is ready.
4) Add 1/2 cup of the flour/butter mix to the apples/pumpkin. Stir to combine. Add apple mixture to the baking dish. Top with the flour mixture, ensuring it is evenly coated.
5) Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
Do you like Canadian Thanksgiving?
What are your plans this weekend?