This soup is so easy to make.. you are probably asking why I am even blogging about it. You might make this soup already and call it your “super easy butternut squash soup recipe” but I’m obsessed with it and need to blog about it. It’s easy and delicious.
And man oh man, is it ever a good soup.
Soup soup soup.
I don’t know about you guys but [most of the time] I don’t follow recipes very closely. When it comes to baking.. sure, follow the recipe; but cooking? No way. I add what I want and flavour recipes differently almost every time I make them. A girl needs some variety, you know?
Soup especially, is something I like to get creative with. Sometimes I’ll add rice, other times pasta. A can of tomatoes one time turns into simple veggie broth another.
When I post a soup recipe I almost feel bad about it because chances are I will never make that soup exactly the same.. ever again [mouhahah].
I’ve seen so many recipes for Butternut Squash soup lately, I just had to jump in and make one! As you all know I’m not big on spices so please feel free to add more curry to your soup if you like it a little spicier.
Butternut squash is my favourite squash to cook with. I’ve yet to try kabocha squash (I can’t find it anywhere!!) but I keep hearing amazing things about it. My Toronto people, where are you finding this rare squash? Every time someone tells me where to find it I run to get it to be disappointed once again.
I blame it’s disappearance on food bloggers. You peps are obsessed (I totally would be too IF I COULD GET IT).
Until I finally locate it.. I’ll stick with my butternut squash. It hasn’t let me down yet.
Chunky Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until a knife can insert easily. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
2) In a large saucepan on medium heat, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add diced onion and let cook for 5-7 minutes, or until golden. Add celery and chopped apple. Heat for about 5 minutes or until apple is soft.
3) Peel or cut the skin from the butternut squash. Chop one of the halves into small pieces and set aside. Scoop the other half into the saucepan with veggies/apple and add vegetable broth, water, curry powder, salt and pepper, and cinnamon. Heat for 2 minutes (stirring with a spoon or whisk) and then pour into a blender (if you have a small blender you can do this in two or three batches). Blender for 30 seconds (or until everything is blended).
4) Return to saucepan and add the chopped butternut squash. Put the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
What is your favourite butternut squash recipe?
Do you prefer baking or cooking?