Yesterday was amazing. I haven’t had a ‘me day’ in so long, and I really really enjoyed it. I spent the morning cooking/baking and watching the Remembrance Day tributes on TV. It was really moving to see the groups of people, performers (trumpet and choirs), and veterans all gathered together. It made me so thankful for what we have and what people had to go through for us to have it.
After a busy morning in the kitchen, I showered and headed out the door. I had to grab a few groceries and I decided to get a little shopping in as well.
When I got home I relaxed on the couch with Cooper for a bit. Coop isn’t used to having someone home with him during the day, so he did a lot of this:
After a few too many ‘Four Weddings Canada repeats’, I headed out again, to the gym. I ran 3km and then came home and showered and started to make dinner.
On the menu was roasted sweet potatoes and creamy avocado and broccoli soup. Mmmmm this soup is so creamy [as the title suggests] and it is really filling. I topped it with a few slices of avocado, but it’s fantastic without the added slices.
After a good meal and great company (Grant), we headed out the door to the gym, again. Grant signed up at the gym I’m at.. which is so exciting (gym date nights). I went to my Zumba class and Grant headed home because he didn’t have his running shoes.
It was a great day off. I can’t wait for my next one!
Creamy Avocado and Broccoli Soup
Makes 3-4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 avocados, pitted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1) In a large saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add the onion. Let cook for 5-7 minutes or until onion is browned.
2) Add the vegetable broth, water, and broccoli. Place the lid on and let boil for about 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is soft.
3) Pour half of the broccoli soup in a blender with one sliced avocado. Blend for 30 seconds. Remove from blender (pour in separate bowl) and add the second half of soup and the second avocado. Blend for 30 seconds. Pour the blended soup into the saucepan (with the other half of mixture) and add the almond milk, all spice, and salt and pepper. Stir and let simmer on medium-low for about 5minutes.
4) Remove from heat and serve.
What do you do when you have a day off?
Are you a fan of broccoli soup?